This arugula Caesar salad is a delicious and healthy lunch or dinner. Made with a bed of spicy baby arugula, creamy Caesar dressing and crispy chickpeas, this classic arugula salad is perfect as a main course or a simple side dish.
It is already well documented in this little corner of the internet that my family LOVES Caesar salad. My Greek yogurt Caesar salad dressing is made weekly in our house, and is one of the most popular recipes on this blog. My buffalo chicken Caesar salad is a staple on game days. I must admit though, it is this arugula Caesar salad that is my personal favorite.
This simple arugula salad recipe is quick and easy, yet elevated and just so delicious. A bed of peppery baby arugula is topped with crispy barbecue chickpeas, creamy Caesar dressing and nutty Parmesan cheese. Add a little salt and freshly ground black pepper, and this simple salad is one you will come back to make again and again. Serve this with vegetable orzo soup and some crusty bread for a dinner your whole family will love.
You Will Love This
- This arugula Caesar salad is a classic salad is a perfect accompaniment to just about any meal.
- This makes a great lunch, with lots of plant-based protein and fiber.
- This salad features my easy pan fried crispy chickpeas, which take only about 10 minutes. Much quicker than oven roasted chickpeas!
To make arugula Caesar salad, you will need the following simple ingredients (exact measurements are in the recipe card below):
For the crispy chickpeas:
- Chickpeas, rinsed and dried thoroughly
- Olive oil
- A medley of barbecue spices including kosher salt, brown sugar, smoked paprika, chili powder and garlic powder
For the salad:
- Baby arugula: Arugula has a zippy peppery taste that I love in this salad, but if you (or your kiddos) don’t like the peppery flavor of arugula, you could substitute spring mix or chopped romaine lettuce.
- Thinly shaved Parmesan cheese
- Creamy Caesar salad dressing: Make your own, or use your favorite brand!
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- Optional: A squeeze of fresh lemon juice!
Step One: Make the chickpeas. Rinse the canned chickpeas and dry them thoroughly with paper towel. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. After the oil is warm, add the chickpeas and pan fry them for 7-8 minutes until golden brown. Add the barbecue seasoning mix to the chickpeas and stir to coat. Cook for another 1-2 minutes, until crispy.
Step Two: Wash and dry the baby arugula (a salad spinner is great for this!). Toss the arugula with Caesar dressing, and arrange the dressed leaves in a large salad bowl.
Step Three: Top the arugula with thinly sliced avocado and crispy chickpeas.
Step Four: Add thinly shaved Parmesan cheese, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Serve immediately!
This salad is best served right away! If you are making this for meal prep, keep all ingredients separate and toss together before serving.
Arugula Caesar Salad
For the crispy chickpeas
- 1 15.5 ounce can chickpeas drained, rinsed and dried throughly
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar packed
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For the salad
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese thinly shaved
- 4 tablespoons Caesar dressing homemade or store bought
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Make the chickpeas. Rinse the canned chickpeas and dry them thoroughly with paper towel. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. After the oil is warm, add the chickpeas and pan fry them for 7-8 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Add the barbecue seasoning mix to the chickpeas and stir to coat.
- Wash and dry the baby arugula. Toss the arugula with Caesar dressing, and arrange the dressed leaves in a large salad bowl.
- Top the arugula with thinly sliced avocado and crispy chickpeas.
- Add thinly shaved Parmesan cheese, and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice. Serve immediately!