Baked Feta Chicken is a super flavorful baked chicken dish with only a handful of simple ingredients. With lots of cherry tomatoes, creamy feta cheese and fresh herbs, this easy recipe is perfect served over pasta or with a big side salad.
Baked feta chicken is a great recipe for an easy weeknight dinner. Made with fresh, whole food ingredients, this easy meal packs tons of bold flavors. Juicy chicken breasts are topped with olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic, fresh tomatoes and lots of tangy feta cheese for a dish that is as delicious as it is simple.
This baked feta chicken recipe is my take on the viral baked feta pasta that took over social media a couple of years ago. The basic premise is so simple – roasting a block of feta with fresh cherry or grape tomatoes to create a delicious creamy sauce that’s perfect over cooked pasta. For my own spin, I added boneless skinless chicken breasts to add protein and make this easy dish a heartier family meal.
This whole dish cooks together in one baking pan, making it a super simple dinner that is perfect for a busy night. And with almost no prep or chopping, the cleanup is a breeze too! For more easy chicken recipes, check out my creamy sun-dried tomato pesto chicken, air fryer buffalo chicken tenders, or grilled bruschetta chicken.
You Will Love This
- This feta baked chicken is a perfect healthy recipe to add to your weekly meal plans.
- Burst tomatoes, dried herbs and creamy feta combine in this dish to create the best flavor with the simplest ingredients!
- This recipe is versatile. It can be served over pasta or rice for the kids, or with a big salad for a lower-carb meal.
To make this easy feta chicken bake, you need just a handful of ingredients (exact measurements are in the recipe card below).
- Chicken: I used boneless chicken breasts in this recipe. You could substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken tenderloins. Just make sure to cook all chicken to a safe internal temperature of 165 degrees F, measured on a meat thermometer.
- Tomatoes: I used fresh cherry tomatoes. Grape tomatoes, or sliced heirloom or roma tomatoes would work too. I recommend fresh tomatoes in this recipe. They are key for the consistency and flavor of the sauce.
- Garlic: I used minced garlic, but you can also substitute garlic powder.
- Feta cheese: Feta is the star of the show in this recipe, but if you don’t have feta available, you can still make a delicious chicken bake. Try Boursin cheese or goat cheese instead. Make sure to adjust the seasoning to taste if your cheese is flavored (like Boursin).
- Fresh herbs: I used fresh basil to garnish my chicken, but other Italian herbs would work too. Fresh oregano or rosemary would be great. If you don’t have any fresh herbs on hand, don’t worry! This dish has enough flavor that it’s still great without them.
Step One: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Step Two: Put the block of feta cheese and chicken breasts in the bottom of a large baking dish. Make sure everything is in a single layer, and the chicken breasts are not overlapping. Season the chicken with kosher salt and black pepper.
Step Three: Add the cherry tomatoes to the baking dish around the chicken and feta. Sprinkle everything with Italian seasoning and minced garlic. Drizzle olive oil evenly over all the ingredients.
Step Four: Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 22-25 minutes, until fully cooked through. Remove the chicken from the baking dish, and use a large spoon or spatula to stir together the cheese and tomatoes until creamy.
Note: Feel free to add up to 1/4 cup of warm water to the dish to help thin out the sauce if needed. If you are making pasta on the side, pasta water is great for this. You may not need any water at all – it just depends on how large and juicy your tomatoes are.
Step Five: Return the chicken to the dish, spooning the sauce over the top of the chicken. Garnish the chicken with red pepper flakes and fresh herbs, and enjoy!
You can definitely brown the chicken in an oven-safe skillet (like a cast iron skillet) before baking. Searing the chicken before baking is a great way to deepen the flavor of the dish and keep the chicken extra juicy. It’s not necessary, though. In the name of simplicity, and easy weeknight meals, I almost never do it, and this recipe still has a great flavor.
Yes. Crumbled feta cheese will work great in this recipe. I would recommend crumbling it over the tomatoes so that it combines with the juice of the tomatoes as they burst, and is easier to stir into a delicious creamy sauce.
We love serving this with cooked spaghetti or penne for an easy feta chicken pasta dish. It’s also great with crusty bread to soak up the yummy sauce. For a low carb option, try it with a side salad or roasted veggies.
Wait until the chicken has cooled to room temperature before storing. Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Reheat leftovers slowly on half power in the microwave, so you don’t overcook the chicken.
Baked Feta Chicken
- 1 8 ounce block feta cheese
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 teasoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teasoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water if needed
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs optional
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Put the block of feta cheese and chicken breasts in the bottom of a large baking dish. Make sure everything is in a single layer, and the chicken breasts are not overlapping. Season the chicken with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Add the cherry tomatoes to the baking dish around the chicken and feta. Sprinkle everything with Italian seasoning and minced garlic. Drizzle olive oil evenly over all the ingredients.
- Bake the chicken in the preheated oven for 22-25 minutes, until fully cooked through. Remove the chicken from the baking dish, and use a large spoon or spatula to stir together the cheese and tomatoes until creamy. Add a little water, if needed, to thin the sauce.
- Return the chicken to the dish, spooning the sauce over the top of the chicken. Garnish the chicken with red pepper flakes and fresh herbs, and enjoy!