Cherry tomato salsa is a delicious fresh salsa that is perfect for summer. With just a few spins in the food processor (and one secret ingredient), you can have perfect restaurant style salsa on the table in minutes.
Not sure what to do with the abundance of cherry tomatoes from your garden or farmers market? Simple homemade salsa is the answer! This delicious fresh cherry tomato salsa tastes like summer, with tons of fresh tomatoes, onion, garlic, jalapeno and cilantro. I added one simple secret ingredient - a can of tomatoes - to give it a smooth texture like my favorite restaurant-style salsas (rather than a more traditional fresh salsa like pico de gallo). This would be perfect at your next barbecue with a big bowl of tortilla chips, or served with some sheet pan fajitas or crock pot green chile chicken for a killer taco night!
For other great cherry tomato recipes, try my burrata bruschetta, orzo pesto pasta salad, arugula burrata salad, or pesto butter salmon.
You Will Love This
- This cherry tomato salsa recipe is a great way to use up your garden bounty.
- This simple salsa uses a special shortcut ingredient (one can of diced tomatoes) to get smooth restaurant style salsa that is super simple to make (no need to roast tomatoes yourself!).
To make cherry tomato salsa, you need the following simple ingredients (exact measurements are in the recipe card below):
- Fresh cherry tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes are naturally sweet and have a great flesh-to-seed ratio, making them perfect for salsa!
- Red onion: Feel free to substitute sweet onion, or yellow or white onions if you prefer. Even green onions would work!
- Fresh garlic cloves
- Jalapeno: I used 1 seeded jalapeno for a mild salsa. You can increase the jalapenos to suite your desired heat level.
- Fresh lime juice
- Fresh cilantro: I'm not a huge fan of cilantro (I'm one of those people that think it tastes like soap), but my kids like it in their salsa. I compromise by just using 6-8 leaves for a mild cilantro flavor. If you love it, add more!
- Kosher salt
- And the secret ingredient: one can of petite diced tomatoes. Use one can of diced tomatoes is a game changer for the texture of this salsa. It gives the salsa a smooth restaurant-style texture while still keeping the recipe super simple (no need for you to roast tomatoes yourself!). I promise with all the other fresh ingredients in this recipe, it will still have a super fresh flavor!
Step One: Prepare the vegetables. Peel and quarter the onion. Seed the jalapeno, and remove the stem. Remove the stem from the cilantro.
Step Two: Put all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Blend for 15-30 seconds, until nice and smooth. Serve immediately!
Note: If you don't have a food processor, you can make this salsa in a high speed blender. You can also use an immersion blender for a slightly chunkier salsa (that is still totally delicious!).
Store leftover salsa in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
Cherry Tomato Salsa
- 1 Food Processor
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 14.5 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- ½ red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- ½ lime juiced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- Prepare the vegetables. Peel and quarter the onion. Seed the jalapeno, and remove the stem. Remove the stem from the cilantro.
- Put all the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Blend for 15-30 seconds, until nice and smooth.
Leave a Reply