This deliciously creamy Crock Pot Green Chile Chicken is a simple recipe your whole family will love. This effortless and tasty slow cooker meal is perfect for the busy weeknights.
This easy crockpot green chile chicken was a big hit in my house this week. Taco night is always one of our favorites, and this creamy chicken was a perfect addition to our taco night menu. As a busy mom, I am always on the hunt for simple slow cooker recipes, especially ones that use pantry staples that I always have on hand. This recipe could not be easier, and yields a flavorful juicy chicken that your whole family will love. Just layer chicken breasts, spices, green chilis and cream cheese in the bottom of the slow cooker, and let it work it's magic!
This simple shredded chicken can be served in a lot of different ways to make your whole family happy. Try it in a burrito bowl with some Mexican rice, black beans, fresh corn and avocado. Or load up a warm tortilla with chicken, salsa and pepper jack cheese for delicious creamy chicken tacos. This would also be great over cauliflower rice for a lower carb option. Leftovers reheat well and are perfect for meal prep.
You Will Love This
- This easy crock pot recipe uses just a handful of simple ingredients but has tons of flavor!
- Just a few minutes of prep in the morning can save you from the weeknight dinner rush. It's such a treat to come home to dinner already waiting for you (and your house smelling amazing) after a long day.
- This recipe is perfect for customizing so that your whole family can have a dinner they love (read: no whining!) Just lay out a variety of your favorite toppings and everyone can assemble their own tacos or bowls.
To make slow cooker green chile chicken, you need the following simple ingredients (exact measurements are in the recipe card below):
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Spices, including kosher salt, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin and black pepper: If you are short on time, you can substitute 1-2 teaspoons of taco seasoning (homemade or store bought) for the seasonings listed in the recipe. It will have a slightly different flavor than the recipe as written, but taco seasoning and green chiles or green salsa taste great together, so it should still be delicious!
- Canned mild green chiles: You can substitute your favorite salsa verde or green enchilada sauce.
- Cream cheese: I use a whole brick of cream cheese in this recipe, as my family likes it best very creamy. If you want to lighten up the recipe, you can cut the cream cheese in half and use a splash of chicken stock for added moisture.
- Fresh jalapenos and chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
Step One: Put the boneless skinless chicken breasts in a single layer in the bottom of the crock pot. Sprinkle the spices evenly over the chicken.
Step Two: Pour the green chiles evenly over the chicken breasts.
Step Three: Cut the cream cheese into cubes and add them to the crock pot on top of the chiles and chicken.
Step Four: Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 2-3 hours. Once the chicken is fully cooked, shred the chicken with two forks. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir the shredded chicken into the sauce. Stir until the sauce is nice and creamy, and no lumps of cream cheese remain.
Step Five: Serve the chicken garnished with some fresh cilantro and jalapenos for a tasty and simple dish!
Store left overs in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. When reheating the chicken, I like to add just a splash of chicken broth or water so keep it from drying out in the microwave. For longer storage, add the chicken to freezer bags and squeeze out as much air as possible to prevent freezer burn. The chicken should keep in the freezer for 3-4 months.
Crock Pot Green Chile Chicken
- 1 slow cooker
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 3-4 grinds fresh black pepper
- 1 7 ounce can mild green chiles
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- Put the boneless skinless chicken breasts in a single layer in the bottom of the crock pot. Sprinkle the spices evenly over the chicken.
- Pour the green chiles evenly over the chicken breasts.
- Cut the cream cheese into cubes and add them to the crock pot on top of the chiles and chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 2-3 hours. Once the chicken is fully cooked, shred the chicken with two forks. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir the shredded chicken into the sauce. Stir until the sauce is nice and creamy, and no lumps of cream cheese remain.
- Serve the chicken garnished with some fresh cilantro and jalapenos for a tasty and simple dish!
This is literally the most delicious thing you’re going to eat in your entire life. My husband made yummy noises the whole meal and basically renewed our vows on the spot. We used hot hatch Chile salsa for that delectable slow burn. If you love yourself, make this for dinner.
LOL! I'm glad you liked it sis!