This sweet cream pancakes recipe is my secret recipe for Christmas morning. Rich, decadent and creamy, these pancakes are a special treat. Serve them with a pancake toppings bar for a simple and memorable holiday breakfast.
Let’s get something out of the way right off the bat: this cannot be called a healthy breakfast. Incredibly delicious? Yes. A real step above traditional pancakes? Clearly. The perfect pancake of your dreams? I think so. Healthy? Not so much.
But that’s OK, because sweet cream pancakes are not your standard pancakes. These will never be regular old Saturday morning pancakes in my house. These are special occasion pancakes.
These tender pancakes get their magic from heavy whipping cream. The higher fat content gives them an amazing melt-in-your-mouth texture. A rich and lightly sweet treat, these are are truly the best pancakes I’ve had. Topped with fresh fruit, maple syrup, and any of your other favorite pancake toppings, this delicious recipe is my favorite way to kick off Christmas morning. Serve these alongside some homemade air fryer hash browns and a pancake topping bar with different fruits, nuts and syrups for a breakfast your whole family will look forward to.
What are sweet cream pancakes?
The main difference between sweet cream pancakes and your everyday basic pancake recipe is that sweet cream pancakes use heavy cream in place of butter, milk and/or buttermilk. The cream makes these pancakes melt in your mouth. They are not fluffy pancakes, they are dense, soft and tender with a rich, creamy taste. The sugar gives them just the perfect bit of sweetness. They are so tasty, I actually prefer them with no butter or syrup, just some fresh fruit on top.
You Will Love This
- These heavy cream pancakes are the best breakfast food for special occasions. They are rich, decadent and memorable.
- Pancakes are a simple breakfast that don’t take any prep and are on the table fast. Perfect for busy holiday mornings!
- Make a pancake topping bar with different fruits, nuts, and syrups for a really fun breakfast your kids will love.
For this simple sweet cream pancakes recipe, you will need the following (exact measurements in the recipe card below):
- All-purpose flour
- White sugar
- Kosher salt
- Baking powder: I suggest aluminum-free baking powder (like Bob’s Red Mill). I think regular baking powder sometimes has a little bit of an off-taste when used in higher amounts in baking, but the aluminum-free baking powder is much more neutral.
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy cream: The star of this recipe that gives these pancakes their richness and sets them apart from regular pancakes.
- Regular milk: I used a little milk to thin out the pancake batter. If you prefer a thinner batter yet, feel free to add a little more.
Make it your own!
Pancakes are one of my favorite recipes for customizing. Go crazy with your add-ins and favorite toppings to make these pancakes your own. Here are some ideas:
- Add some blueberries, raspberries, chocolate chips or chopped pecans into the batter before cooking.
- Make your own homemade fruit syrup – cranberry syrup would be a yummy holiday treat.
- Top with nutella or peanut butter and a drizzle of honey.
- Use leftover cream to make homemade whipped cream.
- Serve these on Christmas morning with a scoop of ice cream and some chocolate syrup on top, and watch your kids’ eyes light up. That’s Christmas magic right there!!
Step One: Mix together all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Step Two: Add the egg and other wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and whisk together until everything is well incorporated. There may be a few small lumps.
Step Three: Heat your pancake griddle to medium heat. Use a little vegetable oil or melted butter to grease the pan (you may not need this if you have a good non-stick pan). Pour 1/4 cup of the pancake batter onto the hot griddle.
Step Four: Cook about 2-3 minutes, until little bubbles start to come up through the batter and pop. Flip the pancake and cook another 2-3 minutes until both sides are golden brown. Repeat until all the pancakes are cooked.
Note, these pancakes cook a little more slowly than traditional pancakes (I think it’s the extra fat). You can try turning your griddle up to medium-high heat to cook them a little faster. I promise the extra time will be worth it!
TIP: I do not recommend using nonstick cooking spray on your pancake griddle. I have found that some types of nonstick spray make the griddle gummy and sticky and are very difficult to clean off.
Step Five: Top with your favorite toppings, and serve!
Sweet Cream Pancakes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- Mix together all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the egg and other wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, and whisk together until everything is well incorporated. There may be a few small lumps.
- Heat your pancake griddle to medium heat. Use a little vegetable oil or melted butter to grease the pan (you may not need this if you have a good non-stick pan). Pour 1/4 cup of the pancake batter onto the hot griddle.
- Cook about 2-3 minutes, until little bubbles start to come up through the batter and pop. Flip the pancake and cook another 2-3 minutes until both sides are golden brown. Repeat until all the pancakes are cooked.